Is your horse exposed to toxins?
Written by Nia O’Malley
Hot humid conditions are perfect conditions for the growth of molds and mycotoxins on feeding utensils (buckets, scoops), in feed tubs, on the walls around feed tubs, on stall walls and surfaces, in the bedding, on the hay. Molds we can see, the toxins that molds produce we cannot.
These mycotoxins can have serious detrimental effect on a horse’s health if they are ingested or inhaled and can affect immune health and performance. The only way to prevent the horse getting affected by mycotoxins is practicing good hygiene. Routinely clean down and disinfect feeding utensils, feed bins, feed tubs, stall surfaces.
Always clean out your feed bins before topping up with fresh feed. Keep your feed room cool and avoid direct sunlight on feed bins and prepared feed buckets. Keep prepared feed buckets covered, and always wash out immediately after use. Never use moldy feed or hay. Routinely clean down your barn and always keep it well ventilated.
It is also a good idea to have the water tested. There are any amount of toxins and bugs that could be in the water that could be having a serious effect on the health and performance of your horse.
Many see a drop in their horse’s health on arriving in Florida, some of this could easily be contributed to the water quality. Often overlooked, this is something that is always needs to be considered when moving to a new barn, and definitely so if you’re having issues with your horse’s health and performance and at a loss as to why.